8.29.2016

Mevo camera review

I got asked to live stream and record a wedding. I started doing some research and found out I could rent equipment for around $600 with included 2 hours of live streaming. Me being the cheapskate started looking around for other options.  And there is was, Mevo by live stream. A small compact camera that records and live stream. Even better, it will live stream to Facebook live for free, so I pre-ordered. Next problem, I needed a iphone 5s or newer to run it. I looked on Groupon and several sites. Then I found out US Cellular had the iPhone SE for $199 on prepaid. SCORE!

The day my Mevo arrived, I was like wow. It is even smaller than I thought. Cool box. I played with it at home, just recording a few videos and not live streaming.

Fast forward to this Sunday. A buddy of mine text me to bring my Mevo to church. So I grab it and my extra battery. I tell him to get a mic stand setup.

When I get to church, I run and drop my daughter off in the nursery and head to the sanctuary. Within a minute or two I had it setup and broadcasting to Facebook. After a few minutes, my iPhone popped up and said there wasn't fast enough internet and I needed to lower the resolution. My thoughts were let's drop the streaming resolution to low. It will record HD to the SD card and the upload the HD version, like my phone does. WRONG.  It streamed at 360p and recorded at 360p.

Well, I am sure that I did something wrong. I check the settings and can't find it so I go to their website and cannot find anything either. I reached out to them on Facebook Messenger. Less than an hour later I get the response, it records at the same quality it streams. Another issue I had was audio quality. When our band was playing, you hear some weird pop. It went along with the beat so I assume it is a volume limiter of some sort. It made the sound less than stellar.

For my use, a phone will Facebook Live will work better than the Mevo. We are rural and upload speeds are lacking around here. With the phone you loose the ability to have the camera in one spot and control it in another but I can stream and later upload in HD or edit the video in HD.  Luckily I am still in the return period and hopefully they will not charge me a restocking fee.

Let me say that I am not saying anything bad about Mevo, it just didn't fit my situation.

No comments: